Do I have to use the body shop that my insurance company recommended?
No. In the end, the choice is yours. Tom Wood Collision Center has direct repair contracts with many major insurance companies. We do not have to be on your insurance company's direct repair list in order to repair your car. Tom Wood works with all insurance companies, and maintains good business relationships with all of their local adjusters, making it easy to complete your repairs and your paperwork.

Do I need to get more than one estimate?

No. You only need to get one estimate at the shop of your choice.

The insurance company estimate is less than your estimate. What do I do?
If the insurance company has already written an estimate, it is a good starting point for us. The estimate has useful information such as the claim number, a parts list, and the adjuster's contact information. However, many times the insurance company will write an estimate that is conservative, and will wait until your car is at Tom Wood Collision and taken apart. Often times, there is hidden damage that can not be seen until it is dismantled. That is when we contact them to report additional damage and costs.

The insurance company issued me a check. What do I do with it?

Hold on to the check until after your car repairs are finished, and bring it with you when you are picking up your car.

Do you use factory paint?
In general, car manufacturers do not sell paint. Tom Wood refinishes cars using a PPG High Performance Envirobase waterborne paint system, restoring your car's finish to its original condition. Our paint system is environmentally friendly, reducing the amount of VOCs that are emitted. And it is warranted
by the manufacturer for as long as you have your car.

Will my paint match?
Tom Wood Collision uses multiple different methods to match paint. Your car's color code is located on the car. Our painters will input it into their computer, and the computer provides the formula for mixing it. We also employ a spectrophotometer to help match your car's color. Lastly, we tone in our colors by spraying test panels, ensuring that the color matches before we apply it to your car.

Will you use only factory parts for my repairs?
Tom Wood Collision would like to use all factory parts for your repairs. However, it's the insurance policy that dictates what types of parts will be used. If the policy states that alternative parts are to be used when they are available, that is how the estimate is prepared. However, you do have the option of requesting that genuine factory parts be installed and paying the price difference.

How long will you have my car?
The time that Tom Wood Collision has your car depends on the extent of damage, and whether or not hidden damage is found once your car is taken apart. To minimize delays, parts are ordered per the preliminary estimate, and received before your car arrives. We also keep in touch throughout the claims process, to let you know how repairs are going and when we think they will be complete.

Have you repaired cars like mine before?
Tom Wood Collision works on all makes and models of cars, sport utilities, and trucks. We are experienced at repairing everything from Kia's to Bentley's,  sports cars to dump trucks and everything in between. All of our technicians are i-Car and ASE certified and attend continuing education classes for the most up-to-date methods and technology advancements.

Can I get a rental while my car is being repaired?
Yes! Fenders can make a reservation for you at the nearest Enterprise or Hertz location. When you are dropping your car for repair, we call the rental office for you. They will pick you up and shuttle you to their location to pick a car and go over the contract with you.

Will the insurance company pay for the rental?

That depends. If you are using your insurance company to have your car repaired, your rental will be paid for, or partially paid for if you purchased rental car coverage with your policy. Your insurance companies claims department can go over details with you.

If you are using the other party's insurance company to have your car repaired, a rental car can be provided while your car is at Tom Wood Collision. Again, ask your claims adjuster for details.

If you are paying for the repairs yourself, Tom Wood Collision has very reasonable rates at our local Tom Wood Rental
  car department.

Glossary of Abbreviations and Terms

DRP Body Shops - Direct Repair Programs (DRP) or insurance company referrals of certain repair facilities could be known as: State Farm's "Service First" program, Allstate's "PRO" program, USAA's "STARS" program, Progressive's "Total Pro or Concierge" program, and Nationwide's "Blue Ribbon" program. Please refer to our glossary of other known insurance company DRF or referral program names.

Although insurance companies refer to direct repair programs differently, they essentially mean the same thing. DRP repair facilities are shops that have formed strategic alliances with insurers. The shop meets the insurance company's criteria of their specific program and the shop agrees to do business in that manner. The insurance company's purpose of DRP (Direct Repair Programs) is to streamline the claims settlement process and they work closely with a select repair facility to accomplish that. The shop agrees to provide many of the administrative duties of the insurance carrier in exchange for the referral.

We will still explain the repair process to you, the vehicle owner. It should be understood and agreed upon on what is being repaired vs. what is being replaced, and what type parts are being utilized in the repair process prior to the vehicle owner authorizing us to proceed with the vehicle repairs. It is the consumer's responsibility and right to choose the repair facility of their choice and authorize the repairs based on a thorough and agreed upon damage evaluation. DRP's (Direct Repair Programs) are an optional program of the insurance carrier. The consumer is not required or obligated to use a DRP repair facility.

OEM - The abbreviation "OEM" implies that the part or parts are made by the original car company manufacturer or its licensed supplier and is a genuine new part warranteed by the vehicle manufacturer.

A/M - This abbreviation for "aftermarket" indicates parts made by a manufacturer other than the original vehicle manufacturer. These parts are warranteed by the manufacturer of the said part or their distributor. There are two levels of aftermarket parts ? one being "certified" and the other "not certified".

QRP - Quality Replacement Part, another term for Aftermarket Parts.

Competitive Parts - Another term for Aftermarket Parts.

LKQ - Like, Kind and Quality ? meaning used parts from a salvage vehicle of the same make and model, usually from the same year or newer than the vehicle being repaired with comparable or less mileage than the vehicle it is being used for.

Recycled - used parts from a salvage vehicle that re-enters commerce when sold to a repair shop. The repairer then takes the used component and performs the necessary steps to put it in a recycled condition that will then be utilized in the repair process.

Remanufactured Part - A used, original factory part that has been refurbished to new condition. (This could be an original car company (OEM) part or an aftermarket supplier.) This procedure could be performed by an original car company supplier or a licensed aftermarket supplier for the car company.

Rebuilt Part - A rebuilt part may not be an original car company part; it could be an aftermarket supplied part. This is a part that is being repaired and serviced for the purpose of resale. Rebuilt parts are typically supplied by an aftermarket source.

CAPA - This abbreviation is for "Certified Automotive Parts Association" - CAPA parts are aftermarket parts certified by an unbiased third party that insures the quality of the parts they test are equal to or greater than the original car company part.

O/H - Overhaul - Remove an assembly, disassemble, clean and visually inspect it, replace needed parts, reassemble and reinstall on the vehicle making any necessary adjustments.

R & I - Remove and Install ? Usually referring to parts being removed from a vehicle to facilitate repairs or to allow access. The same part is then reinstalled on the same vehicle it was removed from.

R&R - Remove and Replace ? This abbreviation means that a part is being removed and replaced with a new, recycled or aftermarket part.

Blend - A process of gradually blending the paint into the adjacent panel being replaced or repaired to facilitate an acceptable color match.

Tint - Means time spent by a painter to tint the color to achieve an acceptable paint match.

Flex Additive/Materials - A product put in paint to make the paint flexible for use on soft parts, such as bumper covers and side moldings.

Color Sand and Buff - Process of sanding a repainted surface with ultra fine sandpaper to remove minor surface imperfections in the paint, or to achieve the same texture of the paint finish as the rest of the vehicle. After sanding the repainted parts are then buffed to restore original gloss. This process may also be referred to as "Denib and Buff", "Final Sand and Buff" or "Finessing".

PDR - Paintless Dent Repair - The process using specialty tools to remove minor, rounded dents, such as hail damage dents, without damaging the paint.